Saturday, August 6, 2011

Grilled Artichokes

Normally, we boil our artichokes whole and eat them leaf-by-leaf, until we reach the scrumptious artichoke bottom, which is like heaven on a plate. Grilled artichokes were only something I had a restaurants... until Giada (who I am slightly infatuated with) showed me how easy it can be to do it yourself!
Grilled Artichokes
(Print Recipe)
Thank you Giada De Laurentiis

Ingredients
2 lemons, quartered
2 large artichokes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or dried rosemary leaves
salt and pepper
lemon wedges and melted vegan butter for serving

Directions
In an 8-quart saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil over high heat. Juice the lemons into the water and add the squeezed lemon shells. Using kitchen scissors, remove the thorns from the tips of the artichoke leaves. Cut the artichoke stems to 1/2-inch long. Cut each artichoke into 8 wedges and, using a paring knife, remove the fuzzy choke. Place the artichokes in the pan and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and steam until the artichoke hearts are tender, about 20 minutes. Using tongs, remove the artichokes and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Drizzle both sides of the artichokes with olive oil and season with salt and teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle with the chopped garlic and rosemary. Grill, cut-side-down, until lightly charred, 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Arrange the artichokes on a platter and serve with lemon wedges and melted vegan butter.

Before the grill:
The grill left delicious char-marks!
Can I just say... oh.my.goodness. I could eat these every night this week. I love everything about them- The garlic & rosemary flavors, the smokiness the grill gives them, the heavenly taste of artichoke bottom you get in every bite... who could resist?

I served these with a simple chickpea salad. I just mixed a can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained) with fresh chopped tomatoes and cucumbers. I drizzled it with 1/4 cup of white balsamic vinegar and added fresh basil, salt and pepper. What an easy and fresh tasting side to compliment these grilled taste sensations!
If you need me, I'll be at the grill.
Every night. Making my new favorites.
 Or at least... in my dreams.

1 comment: