Thursday, June 30, 2011

Grilled Pizza Update and Lilly Love

First, A photo of some cute little plums I picked up at the farmer's market.
They were smaller than most plums I have seen so I had to get them- I love mini food!
Last night we had friends over for dinner. We made grilled pizza with homemade pizza dough. It was by far the best dough I have ever made and it worked wonderfully on the grill!! I would highly suggest this recipe to anyone interested in making homemade dough. As crazy as it may sound, the dough is made with ICE COLD water, chilled flour, and is kept in the refrigerator over night. And to make things even crazier, there is no sugar or sweetener added to activate the yeast! It is a delayed-fermentation method. And it works. I swear. I never would have guessed that anything made with yeast would successfully go through this method. Apparently I don't know much about the inner workings of pizza dough. The recipe for the pizza dough can be found here, from one of my favorite places to find reliable recipes- 101 Cookbooks

Unfortunately, I don't have any beautiful pictures to show you, because we were too busy chatting and having a good time for me to take the time to really focus on photo taking (that could be looked at as fortunately too...) I did snap a few quick pictures that will give you an idea. I love our "rustic" looking pizzas.

I'll start with Nate and Brandon, pizza dough shaping professionals.
Our colorful veggie toppings.
Our dough cooking.
Our custom made pizzas!
Our spread. A little dog wanted to be included too.
We did grill our pizza's on foil. I looked at it as my "training wheels" for grilling pizza dough. I'll step out of my comfort zone a little more next time and put it straight on the grill! For dessert, we stuck with the grill theme and made grilled nectarines with blueberry soft serve. A perfect all fruit ending! Having a create-your-own-pizza night is definitely a fun and easy way to entertain.

Today I pulled out my Lilly Pulitzer books for some fourth of July inspiration. I love love love these books! They have such cute pictures and ideas (although, any recipe idea I get always has to be "veganized" in some way). If you didn't already know, Lilly Pulitzer may have been the inspiration for my cute dog Lilly's name.
I took a few pictures of some of the adorable drawings in these books. Looking at this always makes me miss Palm Beach.
Now I want to go sailing and sip tropical drinks!
Here are a few vintage Lilly pics from her book. Love these!
I am hoping to share another fourth of July recipe soon. I do have a few red, white, and blue recipes here and here. In the meantime, I will be working on emulating everything about this picture, while on a bike ride.

4 comments:

  1. I love it!! I can't wait to show Brandon he made the blog!!! That's so funny you captured Lacey in the picture too!! That little begger was getting ready for a mini puppy pizza! Thanks again for a yummy dinner once again!! And for sharing the dough recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad the dough turned out good- and still surprised! Haha, I know, I snapped that pic of Lacey jumping up at just the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to teach me your tips for setting up awesome pictures of simple things. That first picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww, thanks! Your photos are awesome too- always bright and inviting! I just try to add little details around the main focus of my pic... I always find random things like herbs, leaves, sugar, pits from stone fruit... etc. But you already do that, so I can't think of any new tips to give you! Honestly, I have no idea what I am doing- I just go for it :)

    ReplyDelete