Sunday, June 5, 2011

Blueberry Breakfast

Today's breakfast was definitely blueberry themed, thanks to those delicious blueberries we got at Atherton yesterday. I was also hoping it would help to cool me down in this 90 degree heat we've been having. I made overnight oats with blueberry soft serve and iced blueberry coffee. Thanks Lisa for the question about overnight oats- it reminded me that I hadn't made them in awhile!
Farmer's Market blueberries, blueberry soft serve, and overnight oats.
I separated the oat mixture and the soft serve mixture with a wall of blueberries. When ready to eat, just stir and enjoy!
Overnight oats are a mixture of chia seeds, oats, and almond milk, that thickens in the fridge overnight. The chia seeds really help thicken up the mixture! It is a great breakfast in the summer because you eat it cold (which may sound kind of strange, but it is actually good!) Chia seeds have too many health benefits to mention! If you are curious, try googling it- you will find tons of information!

Overnight Oats

Ingredients:
1/3 cup oats
1 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 teaspoon granulated stevia (I use Truvia) or other sweetener of your choice- maple syrup is good too!

Directions: Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, put a sliced frozen banana in a food processor for 5 minutes (I added a handful of blueberries for today's mixture). Layer the banana soft serve and oat mixture in a glass or mix together in a bowl. Top with fresh fruit or berries.
The perfect pairing for this blueberry overnight oat breakfast is definitely blueberry iced coffee!
I love the New England Blueberry Cobbler Coffee! It is simple to make. Just brew your coffee as you normally would, but the night before (at the same time you make your overnight oats and freeze your banana!) Then put it in the fridge overnight. When you wake up, breakfast, including your coffee, is waiting for you! Add almond milk and your choice of sweetener if desired.
YUM!
On a completely unrelated blueberry note, here are some backyard photos. 
Look who has been hanging out near the hummingbird feeder.
These little guys are taking over our backyard.
Photo credit: Nate Moore
Nate's garden is coming along nicely!
Photo credit: Nate Moore
And apparently our hummingbird visitors still get nectar from real flowers- I'm pretty sure this one has pollen stuck on it's beak.
Well, I enjoyed my blueberry breakfast so much this morning, I think I am going to go get the same thing ready for tomorrow morning! Maybe it will help get me through my last 5 days of school. Or maybe... most likely, I'll need something a bit stronger.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good Mariah!!! I am anxious to make these overnight oats soon! Did you add any blueberries to the oats, b/c I swear they look bluish! I'll be picking up my chia seeds ASAP! Thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't... maybe it's the chia seeds? Or the reflection of blueberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you buy chia seed Mrs Moore? That looks SO yummy and although it is cold and wintery over here (ok, 65 is winter here!) I will be back in the good old USA soon and will need a cool breakfast to combat the heat I am hearing about : )

    And you pics are fabulous! I have a pic of a HUGE slug that I took in honor of you. When I get in tonight Ill send it your way...it is not Mariah quality photography but I just had to take a pic because it is so monstrous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha- thanks for thinking of me when you saw a huge slug :) Berrybrook and earthfare both have chia seeds, but they are cheapest in the earthfare bulk section. We can't wait to see you when you get back- I am SURE you don't miss the heat here (90's everyday!)

    ReplyDelete