Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Roasted Vegetable and Tofu Napoleon

I ran across an old recipe that had been torn out of a magazine at least a year ago. I have never made it before but it looked bright, colorful, and summery, so I decided to give it a whirl. After reading over the ingredients and directions I quickly realized it would need to make some adjustments. The marinade sounded very boring, so I spiced it up a little with my own marinade. The cooking directions were for a short amount of time in the oven. I know from previous portobello cooking experience, it takes more than 5 minutes to cook a mushroom of that size. I decided to use all the vegetables in the recipe, but improvise with everything else.

Here is what my final product looked like.
Layers of fresh grilled farmer's market deliciousness!

It was even good the next day as left overs! The veggies didn't get too soggy, but the flavors soaked in even more. 

Roasted Vegetable and Tofu Napoleon

Ingredients:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
12 oz. firm tofu 
1 medium zucchini
1 red pepper
4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1 medium carrot, sliced into 8 sticks
1 medium sweet potato peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
1 medium tomato, sliced
salt and pepper

Directions:
Combine first 3 ingredients in a large zip-lock plastic bag; add mushrooms to bag. Seal and marinate at room temperature for two hours, turning plastic bag occasionally. Remove mushrooms. Save marinade.

Blend basil and olive oil to make a dressing. (Add 1/4 cup more olive oil if desired. I personally like more basil and less oil).

Pre-heat oven (or grill) to 450 degrees. Slice tofu 3/4 inch thick (Or 4 equal servings). Cut zucchini length wise into 1/4 inch slices. Seed and cut red pepper into strips. With pastry brush coat tofu, zucchini, and red pepper with left over marinade.

Grill/bake the mushrooms for 15-20 minutes (until tender), flipping occasionally, on aluminum foil lined baking sheet or grill pan. Grill/bake the tofu, zucchini, and red pepper 10 minutes, flipping occasionally (on aluminum foil line baking sheet or grill pan).

Meanwhile, bring pot of water to a boil. Boil the carrots and sweet potato 7 minutes, until you can pierce with a fork.

Remove the vegetables and tofu from the heat and stack: mushroom sweet potato, tomato, tofu, pepper, zucchini, cross carrot sticks on top. Drizzle with basil oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Enjoy! (As soon as you slice it, your beautiful tower will fall apart... but it is still delicious!!)
This was taken from my back door this evening.
 
Happy hump day!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! I'm bookmarking it so I can try it once I get home. :)

    ReplyDelete